With OS version 10.3.2, Blackberry has introduced Anti-Theft Protection (the company was required to do so by law). It did this by integrating Anti-Theft functionality in its "Blackberry Protect" offering.
While this might reduce the number of stolen devices, it is a horror for people that have forgotten their Blackberry ID password. Their Blackberry has turned into a useless brick and Blackberry support was in many cases less than useful.
But there is now a method to remove Anti-Theft Protection. It basically consists of 2 steps: Install an older device OS (e.g. 10.3.1) which removes Anti-Theft and then update to the latest OS again. Here are the steps in detail (this is for a Z30 with the currently latest 10.3.2.2836 Software Release on):
- Switch your "bricked" phone on and go through the setup wizard until you get to the "The anti-theft protection feature is on. To continue with device set-up you must enter your BlackBerry ID" screen.
- Download the developer version of the 10.3.1 Autoloader of your device, e.g. for the Z30 it is
downloadable from the Blackberry web site here:
- If you have a different device, download the correct Autoloader from here:
- Run the executable on a PC (must have BB Link installed for the correct drivers).
- Once it says "Connecting to Bootrom", connect your Blackberry device.
- It will restart and load the old OS. Wait until this is 100% complete. There might be an error on the computer, saying "Error: This OS version is blocked from device." Don't worry about this, it does not matter.
- Once the device is restarted, it will run you through the setup wizard. Sign in with your new Blackberry ID. Then, indicate that you want to install updates.
- Once the setup is completed, check if updates get installed via "Settings > Software Updates".
- It will install the updates, restart, and that's it! You have a "de-bricked" device.
If step 6 failed with a double-blinking red LED, first load OS version 10.3.2 with the autoloader. You can download it from here: https://mega.nz/#!8shEkQQD!5LzrH8Vj-jZIHOVYAnTnEvr44hZVjq9XMt21fi1-jNQ. The file name is: AutoLoader_Z30-Classic-Leap_10.3.2.2876.exe
Once 10.3.2 is loaded go to step 1 and do the whole procedure. It should now work.