I have already written a blog post about doing a factory reset on older iPads and iPhone (with a Home button). As the newer models do not have a Home button, the procedure has changed.
If you forget your device passcode or PIN, there is no way to get into your iPhone or iPad again. You have to do a factory reset of the device. For that, you need iTunes and a USB cable to connect your device to your PC.
Find below the steps to recover your handheld:
Important: These steps will wipe (delete) all your data and settings from your device.
- Connect the device to a computer with a USB cable
- Open iTunes on the computer
- Press and release the "Volume Up" button
- Press and release the "Volume Down" button
- Press and hold the "Power" button until the device is in Recovery Mode
- In iTunes, click "Restore".
- In iTunes, click "Restore and Update".
- If you are shown an iOS Update screen, click "Next"
- On the License Agreement, click "Agree".
- The device will now be updated with the latest updates and then it will be factory reset